The Reasons - Symptom 1 - BRAIN FOG

 It is difficult to gauge and determine what is age and what is menopause...  I had accepted that most of how I feel right now is down to ageing. This may yet prove to be true. But, I guess as with most things, its probably somewhere in the middle. The more you read the more you can so 'oh yes, menopause'. So currently, with my current mind set, I consider that most mine and my friends ailments are down to the perimenopause. LOL

Anyway, here are  my reasons in order.

My Brain - is just not working like it used.  This is something that now I'm thinking about it has crept up on me. Mainly its forgetfulness. I remember when I was in my old job doing a Alzheimer's test one day when I got in I was so worried. (it was fine). The fact this was in my old job says it was at the very least 3 years ago! I would have been 46. Obviously I cant remember what prompted this. But, must have been quite bad? 

I have a good brain. Its the one thing I am proud of. I run the back office on trading floors. I have even been company secretary and I left school at 16 to be a hairdresser! A lot of that brain is because I can remember and learn things. Its self taught. I am a doer and an organiser with a little feisty thrown in :-)

I have always been notably more forgetful a couple of days before my period. I am untidy and rely on remembering where I put things and before a period... this doesn't happen. But over the last few months/years its got worse and longer. Forgetting things when you go shopping - even if you only went for that thing. General 'what am I doing in this room?' moments. I started a new job and noticed I just wasn't retaining things that I should have been and would have in the past. 

Remembering conversations I'd had during the week whilst riding on a Saturday. But having no idea who I'd had them with and in what context, both work and personal. Almost constant searching for my phone, ear buds, Ipad, keys.... Relentless, draining and worrying.

The final straw was one day I spent 3 hours trying to remember a best friends (of countless years) surname. This was some 3 days after my period. So now its going on longer.  Finally prompting my appointment with Newson Health back in March (well it was actually in December but I had to wait 3 months for an appointment)  

One thing I knew for sure is it was cyclical, not all the time.  This could only mean one thing right?

By the time I had the appointment I had had a good 2 months and quite frankly felt a complete fraud wasting 45 minutes of the doctors time. But, she explained why. Perimenopause your Oestrogen levels are depleting, getting lower and lower each month. the pituitary gland suddenly goes 'oh shit, you don't have any' and throws out some more. But, it eventually depletes again and this cycle repeats until you have none left.

We discussed other things which I shall mention in different subjects. But finished with me saying I don't think I needed HRT yet but it was a yes for the future. She laughed and said I would start it the next time my Brain Fog started again.  That was 2 months later and where we are now :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approaching a year of HRT and where I am and the benefits

Testosterone on the NHS & Newson Health Catch up

HRT Diary - Month 6 - Somewhere.... Problems